Nov 23, 2006

Woo hoo!

Aside from a near brawl between many runners and a bozo at today's Turkey Trot in Detroit, I had a wonderful day!

Started off wit my running in the first 5k option at the Turkey Trot. I think the 5k is called the Stuffing Strut. There is even a Mashed Potato Miler. I love themed races.

I ran the 5k with Mike, and we finished in 37:08. Not too shabby given that he was in some pain and that he had to stop 3 times for it. All together we lost about 3 minutes out there, so the 37:08 was a good finishing time I would say. When Mike wasn't stopped for pain, he ran all the way through. Something he has not done in a long time. I am very proud of him for pushing through his pain, although he knows that he could have stopped at any point and I would be right there with him to walk him back. I really enjoy running with him like that. Not just in the same race, but by his side. It is nice to share in the experiences...

... such as a jerk yelling at a top placed 10ker.

The story breaks down like this: As we have a little less than 3/4 of a mile remaining in the run, a 10ker comes barrelling down the road - just as a group of people (morons actually) decide that now is the best time to cross the road - you know, while they are facing 3,000 runners. SMART.

Anyhow - there was a little girl with the group of adults, and they just walked along side of her - and then took off running across the street without grabbing her. In her hurry to get caught up, she ran right in front of the 10ker, resulting in him taking a serious dive. He flew around to make sure that the girl was unharmed, as he got back up, this drunken jerk yells at him to maybe watch where he is going.

Does he not realize that he just walked in front of a field of 3,000 runners? The 10ker was looking so far ahead of him that he did not see the 2 foot tall girl walk infront of him. Not really his fault.

Anyhow many explatives where yelled back at the drunk from various people in the race to the effect of "Hey you outta know that if you see 3,0000 runners YOU may be the one who should look where he is going, and to make sure that the kids are safe as well."

SWEET. Runners 1 - little kids 0.

Mike's sisters Mara and Lorraine came in from the 10k shortly after we finished the 5k (well about 16 minutes after)- 54:42 for Mara and 56:39 for Lorraine. Nice work ladies! Lorrain has caught the running bug!

After the race, we grabbed a starbuck's, got ready for the day and I headed up to my parents while Mike went to work. We met back up at his parents and had a wonderful time.

Now I am back home, and Mike is back at work! Tomorrow will be a good day. I am going to go for a nice leisurely run. I love the feeling after a race. Accomplishment.

Simple as that!

I hope that you all had a safe and wonderful Holiday. Mouse, I am thinking of you today.

Happy Turkey day!
Jennifer

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome job on your Turkey Trot 5K.

ShoreTurtle said...

Way to go!

Anonymous said...

happy thanksgiving! sounds like fun!

Darrell said...

A running family affair! That's so awesome.

Jenniferlyn said...

Thank you all! I had a blast! Take off the 3 minutes lost and we would have ran it in 34 and change. But again, I am not all about time - I just have a math mind!

I think that it is awesoem that Lorraine too has the bug! In Mike's family - there are the 3 kids - Mike (34) Lorraine (33), and Mara (26). Mara used to be the CC Captain of her high school.

Mike started back into running, which got Mara abck into running, then finally Lorraine and this was her first race! She is a fitness competitor in FL who recently won her age division.

Stunning family, really. I think that it is awesome that they have something that they can all do together! And now, Lorraine wants to train for a half marathon, so I am trying to get her to do the FLying Pig half with me in May.

Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving!