- 1 can of rinsed and drained pinto beans (Great Northern or other white beans would work just as well. )
- 1 bag of shredded cabbage slaw mix
- 1 small white onion
- 1/2 C of frozen kale
- 1 Jar of Bone Suckin' Sauce
- 1 Jalapeno (optional)
- 1 C uncooked red Quinoa
- 2 C water
- Bring to boil 2 C of water in another pot. Add the 1C of quinoa when ready and cook per directions. I added in the last 5 minutes 1C of frozen kale and 1 chopped white onion.
- While the Quinoa cooks, Add the drained/rinsed beans in a pot with diced jalapeno (if desired), 1 - 1 1/2 Cups of shredded slaw mix and 1/4 - 1/2 C Bone Suckin' Sauce. I started with 1/4C and added another 2 Tbs only, but use per your preference. Heat over medium heat until completely combined and the slaw mix is soft. Should take about the same time as the Quinoa to cook.
I scooped out some quinoa pilaf and topped with a healthy serving of beans. I then topped with additional raw cabbage mix, a few sliced of avocado, some hot sauce and some nutritional yeast.
This dish reminds me of all of the best parts of BBQ with none of the guilt.. you get your BBQ, baked beans and cole-slaw all a top a clean pilaf of quinoa.