Oct 30, 2007

Fluidocity

If it isn't a word, then it should be. Ok, yeah it isn't a word but the term viscocity and fluidity just do not do this post justice. So for the sake of argument we will pretend that it is a word. And the picture you would see next to it in the dictionary - would be me.


Not actually me. I am not as pale, and I have a neck.


Let me back up here. Just a weeee little bit.

I went to the gym after a freakishly long workshop and hopped on the bike for a good 20 minutes. I then went downstairs and did upper body and abs.

Afterwards I hit the gym's lap pool and busted out some drills. Of course, by "busted out" I do not mean fast by any means, I mean completed them.


Lesson from the pool: a 2-piece halter-top tankini is NOT the best wardrobe choice for drills.

I think that I may just have this breathing thing down!!!! Let's not get ahead of ourselves, I am certinly no swimming queen, but I really slowed down and focused on what my body was doing in the water. I felt myself rotate and the breath sort of came naturally.

Hmmm... so this is what not drowning or suffocating feels like. Pretty nice.

I would pause at the end of each length of the pool and watch other swimmers. I noticed that I was the only one breathing every third stroke, the rest opting to breath every other. I tried that for all of 4 breaths before I proved that I am a bi-lateral breather and nothing is wrong with that.


Lesson from the pool: Breathe at a pace and style that you are comfortable with.

So I kept going. Sweet-spot drills, swimming focusing on relaxing and breathing, and then some form drills rounded it out.

Because of my relaxing while swimming I have stopped windmilling it! A two-fer for the Tuesday!

My next roadblock here is myself. My base building adventure - which really has turned into a lifestyle change - is based on time. I decided on this because that way I do not focus on numbers (you know those evil little things) and over time I should see an improvement in distance for the same amount of time in an activity. In theory this is just what I need.

However - just like the saying goes for running - if your "schedule" says 4 miles and you feel good - do not go for 20 just because you think you can. I need to remember that while I feel good in the pool for 12 minutes or 20 - I need to not jump into an hour long lap session because I am just not there yet. I will be... if I follow on the path I am on now. But if I wander off that path and turn onto the highway to pain... yeah I will not fare so well.

I need to slowly build my pool endurance to really feel comfortable taking the next step - open water (yikes!). If triathlon is all about the bike - I am cool with that. I just want to have a fun swim while I wait to saddle up. ;)

So I guess this is a test. I need to have faith in myself and remember that I am on a journey. If I rush to my destination I am only cheating myself out of a beautiful trip!

Congrats to all the SOMA peeps out there - 21stCM, Bold, Nytro (kicked ass and landed 3rd in the Athena group), Missy and Jane (Pirate). Although some did not finish due to lack of fun and severe mechanical nightmares... I think that it was great that they all were able to be there together and share the memories.

And that is what this crazy thing is all about - life.

})i({

RG
Post a Comment