Jun 30, 2007

Bike Woes

I have officially hit my first hurdle in my search for a tri-appropriate bike: my amazing boyfriend.

He wants to buy me a bike for my birthday (August) which is so incredibly sweet. The problem is that he wants me to get a hybrid bike, and not a road bike.

His concern is that since I am an athena, a road bike will be too unsupportive. he feels that a hybrid bike (cross between a mountain bike, and a casual commuter bike) will have larger wheels and thus will provide better cushoning for me. I hate the look of the hybrids honestly. I do not like them one bit.

I tried to explain to him my reasoning for wanting a road bike - specifically the ease of use on road races, and that a mountain bike, or hybrid even, just is not an interest of mine. We darn near got into a fight today over this.

Now I am not looking for a tri-specific bike. Since I am a newbie, I just want a road bike with drop-down handlebars. Simple. He is almost dead-set against me getting one.

I think that I need some help here from my tri-friends. I am a huge believer that equipment should match the useage - I do not wear trail shoes for a road run, and vice versa.

Astetically speaking I don't like hybrid bikes at all. And I honestly do not enjoy mountina bikes a terrible amount either, I have always felt more comfortable on the road bike, but he just feels that my weight is an issue for that due to the thin wheels.

Unfortunately, any knowledge I have on the subject is not going to help as he will need to hear it from someone who is not me.

Maybe I am wrong, but either way - can someone help? Road v. hybrid bike for my entrance into the tri-world.

Aaaaaaaaannnnnndddd... discuss.
Post a Comment