Mar 26, 2007

Runner's rehab.

I tapped out of the pig once and for all. I am in NO shape to do another half until I get this weight off of me!!!

I have been so far out of running, that I am throwing myself into the coolrunning.com C25K program. I did tonight's workout with little effort, which makes me feel good.

Oh, and before I get posts about "you need to put mroe effort into it if it is too easy" - rest asssured my fellow runners and friends aloke - By little effort I do not mean it was easy.. I mean that I can stand to run 60 seconds hard with 90 second brisk walk breaks and not wish I were dying. ;) Now that is awesome to me right now!!

I know that it seems odd to be a half-marathoner, and now throwing yourself back into a 5K training program - but this is what I need to do to get back into the rhythm of running again. I am such a freaking slacker that I completely fell out of running. Oh yes - being sick for over 4 weeks surely had something to do with it. But at the end of the day - I lost my base. I am too far lost to jump right back into my 6-8 mile runs.

So yes - I am out of the Pig once and for all. I am still in for the CRIM 10 miler in August, and the Chicago Distance Classic in Augut as well. Not to mention the Chicago half, BAA half, and of course - The Freep/NB Half marathon.

But I am taking a few steps backwards in order to fully move forward with my training. I am re-teaching myself the basics of running. First off my running pattern is too aggressive for my current weight. (I love my cheesy poofs) I need to run at a pace - make that teach myself to run at a pace - with which my body can endure.

So tonight was day 1, week 1 of the C25k 9 week program. I will get there for sure. Once I hit the strong 5k distance, I will then jump back into my training program with Hal Higdon, which should wrap up in plenty of time for all of my planned races.

I am proud of myself for taking this first step into reintroducing my sick-arsed self to my running life. I have identified myself for so long by my running, that I felt a little lost not being out there.

I am not ashamed to admit that I need to start over again. At the end of the day, I am doing this for me, right? So what difference is running a solid and quick 5k vs. a half-arsed 13.1? Pride. I will take the firm 5k over a sloppy 13.1 anyday.

And all of this will help me build back up my base to be a better half marathoner. I am in runner's rehab if you will!

2 comments:

Backofpack said...

You should be proud of yourself for acknowleding the need to start fresh and doing it! Most of us runners get so hooked into our distance and times that we can take that crucial step - to rest when we need to, back off when we need to, start over when we need to. I have a very hard time with all those things. On the other hand, after nine years of running and two half-marathons, my heart was giving me such fits that I had to drop back to three mile runs, running 3 or 4/walking 3 or 4. It took a while for my health to settle down and for me to get back to where I am. So, I say - good for you! You'll be back strong before you know it!

Jenniferlyn said...

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement! It was hard, and I think it has been evident the pat few months - like 6 or so - that I have been struggling. This was all I could think of which could help my situation.

A big part of how and why I could do this - wass that I removed numbers from my head. This has had a huge impact on my running - not just in races, but in training.

I now have pace and time goals, specifically for two races - a 5K in May, and the CRIM 10 miler in August. I am training smart - I think!!! - and there really is nothing but myself stopping me from ucceeding.

I do tell you though - going from 8 mile runs to running in 60 second intervals really made me wonder. But I am reteaching my body, so I am being very strict with doing exactly what the C25K program states... no more... no less. It is the no more part that could trip me up... but as Steve Runner says - follow the plan and it will work... do more or less and you can hurt. DO NOT DEVIATE FROM THE PLAN.

So.. here is to no deviation!!!