Jan 17, 2007

HRM Madness

As most of you know - I LOVE my Garmin Forerunner 201. It was, hands down, the best running purchase I have ever made.

I realize now that I will benifit from having a Heart Rate Monitor as well. I am not terribly sure if I want to drop $300 on a new Garmin, the Forerunner 305 in particular, or if I would like to
check out other HRMs first to get a feel for them.

I already passed up my Triax running watch for the Garmin and have not once turned back. So why am I afraid of ditching my 201 and upgrading to the 305? The 305 is a better unit for features that
is for sure. I use my 201 every run and definitely got my moneys worth out of it. I feel quite confident that I would get my money out of the 305 as well. But I also want a HRM that tell sme
calories burned, one that I can use while working out inside as well.

So what HRM do you all use, if you use one, and how do you like it?

5 comments:

TNTcoach Ken said...

Wow, the gadgets that we need!!! I have the Garmin 301 and use it sparingly. I also have a Polar that I use for inside training. I'm not as confident in the Garmin data as the Polar data. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I'm not much of a gadget guy. I'll be interested to see what you decide on.

I really like the new look!

Anonymous said...

I've heard nothing but good about the Garmin. (except it does loose track when running through heavily wooded trails) Have fun with it.

I quit buying gadgets because I finally figured out that 1. I don't know how to use them and 2. They don't make me any faster.

I'm a slow learner.

Anonymous said...

I'll say two things on this (by the way, came across you from MNFireflies and just wanted to add my 2 cents on this on what I know), the 205/305 is supposed to be better in dense areas for coverage and keeping signal. If you love and don't want to give up your Garmin, you need either the 301 or 305 if you want to HRM train. I've heard from others who have tried Garmin and another HRM and they don't seem to play well together.

On another note...honestly, do you really think the HRM will do well for you? I know so many people that get so frustrated by them...I've never used one so can't speak from experience but have had good results just working effort based. Good luck. You have some good goals.

Jenniferlyn said...

That is sort of what I was wondering myself. DO I need an HRM to get better effects, or in my case woudl just really putting more effort into my running give equally if niot better results. I think that maybe I would benifit more from an HRM in the future - like when I get a lot better at running in general.

My miund is made up - no to the HRM for now.

I primarily wanted it for caloric burn info and to see what my body is doing out there - but then again, isn't my body it's own gage?

Maybe if I listen more to my body I will do good.

Thank you all!!!!