I have to realize that having both still requires give and take. I can go long for sure, but need to realize that my 5K pace is not sustainable over 26.2 miles. Right now I am in endurance mode, so that made running longer my main goal. I am accomplishing that every day so that makes me happy. Incorporating the speedwork and tempo runs like I have should be having a positive affect on my long distance running.
Being that I am just getting back into running half marathons and actually training for running, I think that I need to spend more time adjusting and evaluating my running goals and make some longer term goals that I can work toward in the next year, not just a goal for a race that is happening in less than a month. With that being said I have made some adjusting in the plan. I developed three distinct sets of running goals: 5K, Half Marathon, and Marathon.
5K ~ Short 'n' Sweet
- For shorter distances my short term goals (2008) is to run a 5K in 30 minutes.
- My medium-range goal is to run a 5k sub 30
- My long-term goal is to run a 5k under 27 minutes.
Half Marathon ~ Keeping the Pace
- My 2009 medium-term goal is to be able to run a half marathon in 2:11:00.
- My 2010 long-term goal is to run that same half marathon sub 2 hours.
Marathon ~ Testing the limits
- My 2009 medium-term goal is to run a marathon and finish it strong. No time goal for this.
- My 2010 long-term goal is to run a marathon, finish strong, and be under 5:15. My best Marathon finshing time? 6:45 and change.
It will take work and time to achieve these goals, however I am giving myself the time to accomplish the work set forth ahead of me.
As for my Half Ironman in 2009 - after much consideration, I feel that Steelhead 70.3 is not a good venue for my first HIM. I heave heard a lot of things about this particular race that makes me feel as if it will be a little overwhelming in both cost - a good $90 over the price of non-Mdot long distance races, and in field size - it is the largest 70.3 Mdot race in the world, or at least darn close to it.
With that and with much reviewing of other long course races I have decided to do the Muncie Endurathon in July 2009. February 23, 2009 starts my HIM training!