Aug 27, 2008

Speedwork day and a realization about long slow distances...

Todays prescription? Aside from ridin' donkeys and more cowbell that is...

Simplefit L1D3 AKA "the burner" for time: 2:22 total time

  • 10 pullups,
  • 21 pushups,
  • 21 squats

100 pushup challenge day 3

  • 10
  • 8 (oopsy did 9)
  • 8 (oopy did 6)
  • 5
  • max (min. 10) I did 11!!

Speedwork run day!

  • 1 mile warm up 13:53 (hey look at that - if I walk a lap or two I can hit a 13 minute mile pace. That is all it takes? )
  • 1600 @ 10:30, 9:59 actual
  • 800 jog 6:51
  • 1600 @ 10:30, 9:58 actual
  • 800 jog 6:41
  • 1 mile cool down, 10:21actual - for a total of 5 miles

I felt like such a slacker yesterday. I actually forced myself to take a complete rest day. No running. No strength. No bike or even swim. It was hard, but I was tired so that helped out some. PLus, I was travelling for work and getting my credentials for this weekend's Grand Prix, so I really had little time to do anything else but it in a car all day.

My goal is that after the half marathons, I will have reached a new base. If I can maintain a 16-25 mile a week run base, then upping my swimming come November should be an easy add. My tri club re-starts Saturday pool swims starting September 13th, so I am pretty excited to be getting in some LONG swims again.


Thank you everyone for your kind words about inspiration. It has taken me a while to realize that it is OK to run at a comfortable or even slower speed to get in some time. And yes I am still working on how slow to go... knowing that I need to run slower than I am capable of has taught me a lot.


While one school of thought may say that long slow miles creates long slow runners... sometimes it is good to teach your body that it is OK to go long. My new thought process is that this is just like getting T.I.T.S... time in the saddle... on the bike. In order to bike longer, faster, and stronger you need to have hours in the saddle to teach your body that it is OK to be in that position for some time.

The added bonus to T.I.T.S. is that you can now focus on strength and speed because the endurance part (being in your seat for hours) is already taken care of.


You need to experience time being upright for running. Running is physically harder than the other sports because you are either sitting or laying down for the bike and swim respectively, but in running you are standing upright which means that our body is supporting our bodyweight 100% of the time. Very few of us have jobs or lifestyles where we are walking or standing most of the day.

I think part of my fatigue in running is purely that my body had become weak from not supporting itself for periods of time throughout the day.


I am taking the slower runs as getting my body used to supporting itself for periods of time, as well as teaching my legs that it is OK to turnover when tired. My hope in all of this is that if I can stand being mobile via foot for hours on end this will make my runs more enjoyable, speedier, and bringing a marathon my way in 2009.


I figure that even if this does not pay out in a 2:30 half this year, I am only setting myself up for success in the future by providing my body with a solid base, both structurally (strength), mentally (mental endurance), and physcially (fitness).


Plus every minute I am running today is getting put in the bank of base fitness for my HIM next year.


Run happy! })i({RunnerGirl

4 comments:

Pope Corky IX said...

Again, another good post! I did a slow short run this morning-as part of my marathon training--being observant of bringing my speed down a little bit--I didn't have to walk at all! That was a first.

I am running the Detroit half--but training for the PF Changs marathon in AZ as part of Team in Training--

L*I*S*A said...

I firmly believe that long, slow runs build endurance, plain and simple, and when race day comes, it will pay off.

You're doing a great job...keep up the great work, sista!!

TNTcoach Ken said...

You have to have T.I.T.S.! I think T.I.T.S. are my favorite part.......... of training, HA. Good to see you're listening to your body and taking time off.

Adam said...

Everything I read says that a long slow run is important.

Of course I am not a tri xpert:)