Sep 11, 2006

R.I.P. My Shoes

I swapped my Monday and Tuesday workouts due to school, so today I did 4 miles (really 4.5 with cool down jog/walk.) Yeah! The issue is that I fear the combination of miles I have put on my shoes and running style (I run hard!) is leaving me with no other option but to discard 2 pairs of running shoes. Oh yes... you heard me right. I have worn out both my Asic Gels and my NB 715s.




**A moment of silence for my shoes, please**




Oh, and while we are at silence giving, lets take a moment to ponder the life of Mouse's shoes after her trail run the other day... Sounded like a wonderful run to me!



OK, right then, on with business. I guess the words of Tim Gunn "Make it work" would not be the appropriate answer here. I need to break down and purchase new shoes. I did some research and found some Asics that I really like - but the proof is in the journey I always say. I have high arches, and my newest shoes (very low mileage - like 50-75 or so) are actually for FLAT FEET!!! That would explain why my feet hurt after wearing them. They feel oversupported, and ironically they are!

So onward with my quest for the perfect neutral + shoes I can find. Time to run over to Running Fit soon and puruse the collection for my next pair of victims... errrr... new best friends.

Who am I kidding? My newest victims! They are going to feel the punishment of my whimsical journey through runing. Mwhah-hah-hah-hah! Oh and what punishment they will endure! In fact, As I was leaving work today to get home to run, I realized that I have become that person. Oh, you know who I am talking about.

The person who sees a trail go off the beaten path and wants to run it to see what it is like. The person who sees the road as a place to run, and on her drive home envisions herself running on the different pavements she sees, yearning from her car to park right there throw on the shoes and hit the bricks via foot.

Somewhere between there and here on this journey, I have come to see everything in terms of running. Miles are minutes to me now. Roads are training runs. I know if I can or cannot do other things at certain times based on how many miles I want to run. I see every sidwalk and hill as a challenge - a path taking me willingly, all the while I just keep going and going until the GARMIN tells me to stop. (I adore the Garmin, have I told you that????)

I see people running by my work, by my house, and I get jealous that I am not out there with them! Yessir. I have become one of those people. (^~^) And I like it.

Huff, puff, and go!

2 comments:

mouse said...

hahaha! it wasn't my trail shoes that I tossed the day of the race (just an old pair of trainers that I had retired already anyways), but man, those trail shoes have to go too. they are SHOT TO HELL. I definitely shouldn't be running in them any more.

being one of "those people" isn't so bad. you're in good company. :)

TNTcoach Ken said...

Welcome to the dark side, young SkyWalker.........