Sep 13, 2007

Masters Swim #1, AKA how I got my groove back.

Last night after taking a nap due to still feeling ill, I decided to see if I could manage the master' swim class.

I headed out to Milford HS, and walked into the pool building.

*gasping in awe*

They have two pools... one with a tiki hut, slides, and water guns mounted on plastic animals... basically an aquatic wonderland for the little kids... and one for diving and laps. Their competition pool.

Unfortuntely the class for me was being held in the competition pool. Of course.

I got changed into my super speedy swimsuit and headed out to meet the group. After talking with the coach (Gunnie as they call her... and yes she is militant) I start to worry. "What if I am so bad at this that I am ridiculed, or she gets frustrated with my lack of freestyle experience?"

You see my friends, as I have said before I can swim. No problems. I just never got down the freestyle. As a kid I think that I had a bad swim teacher because I never understood what to do on that stroke as far as breathing goes.

I informed my master's coach that while I can swim and go back and forth lapping the pool from here until Sunday, I may not be so good at the basic stroke of freestyle.

I am glad that I informed her, as there were two other newbies to the group, so she put us all together in a lane so she could get us up to speed on the drills.

I will not bore you with the details of the drills we did, but let me tell you - I am in love. The warm-up was brutal for me... but the drills were so smooth.

I felt slippery. I felt graceful. I felt fluid. I moved freely through the water focusing on the poitions and stroke mechanics (NERD!). By the end of those 1.5 hours I felt so much more confident in my freestyle ability.

I got my groove back. *boom-chicka-wah-wow*

The Master's class is Mondays and Wednesdays from 6:30PM - 8:00PM. Right now I am going to be going on Wednesday's only because I will be short changing my Detroit Half training if I miss too many days during the week.

As it stands, every Saturday from now until 2008 I will have from 7AM-8:30AM my tri-team swim practice, which makes 3 days a week of swimming practices. Yes, I am really pouring myself into the swimming portion right now, primarily becuase I do have a ways to catch up. But once I do... watch out! I tend to flow like mercury.... quick!


On the health front I am feeling better today, so hopefully I will be able to make it through a whole day at work.

One more day until we are working for the weekend. Take care!

})i({ Jenniferlyn, the swimmergirl.

PS - I finally caught the trainwreck of a performance that Britney Spears put on at the VMA's. Poor Britney, when will the criticizing every stop?

2 comments:

TNTcoach Ken said...

Way to go Stella! I wish I had the time and ability to swim in that type of environment. It is sooo forgiving on the body. Keep up the great work and good things will happen.

MNFirefly said...

Way to go, girl! I am not a swimmer myself - period. I am glad that someone else can do it.