Aug 25, 2007

The Triathlete's Dilemma. I think.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. *clear throat* Uuuuhhh... yeah.

Just like Jess, I too missed my Saturday AM Running Club run. Why? Trails sorta hurt my body. Well, when I am not used to them that is. I got up at 7AM ready to head out to the meeting place, but my body was telling me "Oh no girlie! You are nOT going running this morning. I am SORE. " So today I am thinking of doing a weight/cardio DVD (TheFIRM) then tomorrow head out for my long run. I am aiming for between 7-9 miles.

However - the temps here are perfect - 70* currently - and tomorrow it will be back to 80*, so I am tempted to go out today. I will see how I feel in, say, 2 hours. I HATE passing up perfect running weather!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


As in all things in life... when you take on more activities, responsibilities, etc., you have to juggle your schedule more. I am not a cyclist/swimmer by nature so for the 2008 training season I will definitely have to spend more time on my weaker areas and less on the strength. I laugh at the thought that running is my strength. So, let's just say that I am at an acceptable level to not worry about that portion. ;)

After finalizing my classes and group training times, I have the following schedule* to wrap up 2007. This will really only be in effect up until the Freep on 10/21:

MONDAY
Work 7AM - 4PM
Gym 4:30PM - 5:30PM (strength/stretch)
Class 6:30PM - 8:17PM

TUESDAY
Work 7AM - 4PM
Gym 4:30PM - 6:00PM (3-5 miles or speedwork,
stretch)


WEDNESDAY
Work 7AM - 4PM
Swim Lessons (Milford) 6PM-9PM

THURSDAY
Work 7AM - 4PM
Running Group 6:30PM - 7:30PM (3-5 miles)

FRIDAY
Work 7AM - 4PM
GYM 4:30PM - 5:30PM (Cycle, stretch, abs)

SATURDAY
Tri Club Swim Practice 7AM - 8:30AM
Run Club Practice 9:00AM - ?????? (Long distance work or
some short tempos)


SUNDAY
Cycle


After which this will be my very tentative schedule through the winter months:

MONDAY
Work 7AM - 4PM
Gym 4:30PM - 5:30PM (strength/stretch)
Class 6:30PM - 8:17PM

TUESDAY

Work 7AM - 4PM
KMP (cycle)


WEDNESDAY
Work 7AM - 4PM
Swim Lessons (Milford) 6PM-9PM

THURSDAY
Work 7AM - 4PM
Running Group 6:30PM - 7:30PM (3-4 miles)

FRIDAY
Work 7AM - 4PM
GYM (strength/stretch/swim) or KMP (cycle)



SATURDAY
Tri Club Swim Practice 7AM - 8:30AM
Run Club Practice 9:00AM - 10AM (3-4 miles)

SUNDAY
Cycle long distance or brick



Obviously, once I start training for my tris, I will in all reality have to develop a new schedule based on how often I need to practice what. As I become a better swimmer, I plan on dropping the Wednesday coached swims and swim after my strength workouts on my own.

It is official. I will be so glad when Oct. 21st hits, because then I can drop the longer runs, and be back to a nice 3-4 mile run, plus I can then start focusing on biking a little more. I love the three sports individually, so I am glad that I can do them all at once! God bless the man who invented the Sprint distance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I am currently only planning on 1 half marthon in 2008, which will be the Detroit Freep that I run every year. I am going to be focusing on my sprint triathlons and getting a good 5K time out of me!

I will never leave the sport of running. It is too ingrained in my fiber of being. I want to branch out into crosstraing without the guilt that I am not running. Yeah, it is a Jenn thing. Everytime I am doing something that is not running I feel like I am cheating on the sport. Silly I know! That is why the tris are a perfect fit for me.

I can cycle and swim, and not be worrying that I should be running - because every workout is getting me to the goal! I need to look at it this way - I am being active, I can keep my motivation up, plus I get to perform a variable slew of drills that I have never experienced before.

I think that after my training for my first tri, I will be a stronger runner. I know for sure that I will be a stronger person.

})i({ Runner Girl


*You know that me being an enginerd means that I am a type-A personality. Lists, graphs, schedules, plans, etc. make my day. Seriously. I was not a math minor for nuthin'. ;) Go nerd power!

2 comments:

Bolder said...

thanks for linking my blog! it's always humbling and flattering for me...

did you know i grew up in Windsor? and spent many a day in your neck of the woods??

i would like to go back home and race something local next season... my parents are getting to old to travel to Boulder to see me race!

oh, and i was a math major too -- why do you think there's so many charts!

keep at it, you're doin' great!

MNFirefly said...

Great plan, Jenn. I think you are doing an awesome job. It will be worth the effort you put into it.