Jul 5, 2006

Back in the swing of things... back from Vacay!

Well I am back from both the Formula1 races in indy (Way to go Ferrari!!!!! 1st and 2nd place), and a few days off of work to have a good break. Tomorrow I am back to work!

Today I hit the gym for a good 20 minutes of cardio, and 30 minutes of arms, abs, and back work. Tonight I am going back for a good hour long Pilates workout, as well as running a few miles this afternoon.

I feel energized and needing to get in shape as I gained back 10 lbs! WOW did I lose track of the workouts.

I realized that it is 2 months to the CRIM 10 mile race in Flint, MI, and I have so far to go! I feel that 2 months is plenty of time to get back on track though. It takes 4 months to get in shape for a marathon, 26.2 miles, so 2 months for 10 miles is perfect. Then in October is the big half marathon! I am so geeked!

My boyfriend will not be running it with me this year, but I know he is going to support me all the way! I have some friends who live in Chicago, so I am going to enlist them in support as well. This will be my first race in which people are there to watch me, so I am very excited! That really ups the ante and helps knowing that someone is waiting at the finish line for me.

And it helps in knowing that I need to get in better shape to sucessfully complete the 13.1 miles in a PR time. Although I eat a very well balanced diet of vegetables and protein, the one thing I have to admit is a food I could never give up - Coneys! I have found that most coney sauces (packaged in stores) are made with TVP instead of meat, and are very good on soy dogs, but when I am out at my favorite Coney Island, I cannot help but partake in their dogs! How bad is that?? My justification -although a terribly wrong one -is that everyone knows that hotdogs are not meat! :)

So for now I am giving them up! FOR GOOD. :( My PR and waistline depend on it!

I have also attempted to stop eating so much processed food. I bought tons of fresh fruits and veggies to help with this, and have switched from instant brown rice to long-cook basmatti rice.
The basmatti rice has a wonderful nutty taste (very light) and is naturally white, so there is no bleaching. It is healthier than brown rice even, so it is a plus all around. It cooks up wonderfully and is a great mealstarter - add cilantro, tomatoes, and Adobo/cumin for a wonderful mexican rice, or basil, tomatoes, and basil/oregano for a great italian rice. I made the mexican rice and pared it with my healthy chili.

Here it is:
  • 1 Red Pepper cut into chunks
  • 1 large white onion cut into chunks
  • 1 small red onion diced
  • 1T of diced garlic
  • 2 14oz. cans of diced tomatoes undrained
  • 1T Cumin
  • 1T Chili Powder
  • 1t Cayenne Pepper
  • 1t crushed red pepper
  • 1 can red beans (or red kidney beans or pinto beans) optional
  • 1/4 Cilantro (or basil if you do not like cilantro) fresh and roughly chopped

In a large pot add the red pepper, onions, and garlic together and sweat out. Then add the cumin, chili powder, red peppers, and cayenne pepper and stir. Add the cans of tomatoes, the beans, and cilantro (or basil) and simmer under low heat for an hour. Add more cayenne and red peppers as needed for more heat to taste.

I served it with homemade cornbread, cheese, fresh diced tomatoes, fresh diced red onion, and tortilla chips (blue corn) so we can alter the chili to fit our own likes. I also heated a store bought roasted chicken and shredded it on the chili for Mr. Meat. For me I dished it over the mexican rice.

We loved it! It was very healthy, very filling, and you never miss the meat as the veggies are so chucky, the texture is perfect. A wonderful addition is 1 orange pepper and 1 yellow pepper. This adds more color and bulks up the veggie content. I only had red, so that is what I used.

Well - going out for a run!

Re-energize this week!

Runnergirl

PS - I took out the forums, guestbook, and chat as they were not really working as I intended.

No comments: